Friday, June 20, 2014

Char Kuey Teow & Sarawak Mee at Happy Wonderful Land Restaurant @ Glenmarie

Nobody ever thought that Glenmarie being a famous landmark for light industrial, warehouse, car showrooms and factory area could be made famous for it's restaurants and eateries. Who could have imagined this years ago but now this place has made itself a name for it's restaurants and eateries.

This place was made famous for it's chicken rice or siew yoke rice and more and more restaurants dishing the same type of food are mushrooming here. If I am not mistaken there are a total of 5-8 chicken rice restaurants here along two stretches of shops sharing the same street or so.... Well, if you are a chicken or siew yoke lover you will not be disappointed, really. But anyway I will not touch of this subject but rather the subject for today is 'the best char kuey teow and Sarawak mee' in this area.

This store is located in 'Happy Wonderful Land Restaurant', a corner restaurant that houses all types of hawker food : curry mee, economy rice, wan ton mee, chicken rice... but it is the 'char kuey teow and Sarawak mee' that I am talking about. Really not to be missed if you are in the area.

Felix is the tauke of both the store and his right hand man is well trained to dish out both the char kuey teow and Sarawak mee. Frankly, I have tried both Felix and his staff cooking skill and I must say 'quality is assured'.

They have been operating there for few years now and from what I can see there are indeed lot's of 'regular' clients. Some are like friends and calls the tauke 'Felix, char kuey teow 2 plates! Biasa'. It is also important for Felix to know his clients too as when one were to order 'biasa' means Felix already knew what his regular client wanted. This is so cool and something that you hardly see in a hawker. Personalised service!


Let us start off with the 'char kuey teow'. It's aroma aroused me even before the plate was brought to me (because I was just seated next to the store). I could feel that I was swallowing my own saliva either I was hungry or I was 'wai sik' or maybe both la. The presentation of the fried kuey teow was good which is important. I realised this kuey teow was fried with lot's of taugeh and lap cheong but no prawns which was perfectly OK with me. I always fancy a plate especially fried with lap cheong cause it will certainly taste better.

And indeed it really tasted good. I like the way they did it cause I like it dry with enough 'wok hei' to make the entire fried kuey teow perfect. I commented to Felix that I preferred it to have more 'wok hei' as it is my personal likings. But it was good. Tasted really delicious and yeah.... it was finished in record time. I was contemplating of ordering another plate but decided against it and ordered a plate of Sarawak mee.

The Sarawak mee is similar to 'kolo mee' but it has it's own Felix's style to it. Instead of char siew the noodle came with some really mouth watering minced meat and a bowl of soup with some foo chook and stuff in it and not forgetting the dipping chilli sauce which was a real gem.

Noodle was perfectly cooked as it still has it's springiness feel to it which was good. I never like overcooked noodle which tastes soggy. But not in this case. Credits to Felix for paying extra attention to noodle preparation.

It was like 'love at first sight' when I took the first bite. It was amazing lah! Tasted really good with some special sauce that was prepared together with the minced meat. That's the real thing here. Wow! This is my true expression of the food.

Next on my list will be Felix's other noodle ie 'Spinach Noodle'.

Conclusion : I have made another couple of trips there specifically for Felix's foodie. It is always a pain going there as the lunch crowd can really get out of control especially finding a parking space for your car. But never in my entire life anything like this has deterred me from making a trip for good foodie.
A 4/5 for me. I am hoping that Felix will strut his magic wand to make it 5/5 and that is what I hope for.
Breakfast & Lunch only. Mon-Sat only.

Cheers!

Happy Wonderful Land Restaurant
No.2, Jalan Pekedai
Glenmarie
Shah Alam.

Note : The above review was purely based on my personal opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Deal all AhLianAhBeng readers,
    Today (27/06/14) will be Felix's last day operating his stores in Glenmarie.
    He will be moving to his own premise, address as follows:
    No.8, Tingkat Bawah Blk 5, Jalan Gempita 3, Taman Salak South Selatan, KL.
    There will be a soft launch this coming Tuesday (01/07/14)

    ReplyDelete

free hit counter
free hit counter